Adding an Individual to a Preferred List
Preferred Lists are user-defined lists in Contact Information. You can use Preferred Lists to set up e-mail, text message, or phone lists for your church or organization's groups or programs.
For example, you could set up a Preferred List called Children's Ministry in Define Lists. Next, you would add parents and grandparents who want to receive notifications when the children's ministry hosts events to the Children's Ministry preferred list. Then, when you host an event for children, you could search for individuals with a Yes value for the Children's Ministry Preferred List and call, e-mail, or text the individuals in that list to let them know about the event.
- Under Manage Records, click the People tab.
- In the drop-down list, select View/Edit Individual and click Go .
- In the Find Person window, select the individual who you want to add to a Preferred List and click View/Edit.
- Click the Contact Information tab.
- Click Preferred Lists.
- Under Preferred List, select the list(s) that you want to add the individual to. If you want to create a new list or edit an existing one, click Edit List.
- Click OK.
Mass Changing Preferred Lists
You can use Preferred Lists to set up e-mail, text message, or phone lists for your church or organization's groups or programs. If you have a large number of individuals to add to a preferred list, you can do this through Mass Change.
For example, suppose you want to start an e-mail list to notify senior citizens of programs in your church or organization. First, set up a Senior Citizens preferred list in Define Lists. You could then process a search for all individuals over the age of 55 who have an e-mail address as their Preferred Contact Method. You could then mass change the records that match your search results to a New Value of Yes, adding those individuals to your Preferred List.
You can also change an individual's preferred lists on the Contact Information tab.
Make a Backup
When using mass change, be sure you have a current backup in case a mistake occurs. That is the only way to be sure you can "undo" the changes.
- If you have not already done so, make a backup.
- If applicable, process any searches or filters needed for your Preferred List.
- Under Manage Records, click the Tasks tab.
- Select People Mass Change and click Go .
- In the Mass Change window, under Change Mode, select Change Field Value.
- Under Available Fields, select Preferred Lists and select the appropriate list.
- Under Include, select the appropriate option according to which records you want to change.
- In the drop-down lists, select the Value to Change (if changing all records that match a selection) and the New Value.
- Click Change.